Monday, September 12, 2011

Bu obi Kriol?

People around here are used to talking to Emily and Jason Atkins in Kriol, so they usually don't talk to us unless they know us already. Then, if I chime into a conversation (if I'm picking up what's being said), people look at me and ask "Bu obi Kriol?" and I say yes, but not well.
We had our first lesson in Kriol today with our friend, Fernando. He spent the entire lesson patiently talking to us in Kriol and trying to help us get a clue about what's going on. Even the Kriol that I speak is limited enough that people have a hard time knowing exactly what I mean.
It's the funniest thing to BE the foreigner. You realize that people are being nice just to talk to you because it takes them extra energy to give it a go. You are not the only person around that they could try talking to and it's kind that they even try!
We went to church yesterday and fought sleep. We were very tired to start with because our dog had kept us awake (we fought with Sheba to get her into her bed and off of us all night--we are sleeping on the floor right now) and then we'd gotten up early to go give a friend our baggage tickets so she might be able to look for our bag at the airport in Senegal. There are many things in that bag that we need. Pray they arrive!
We went to the downtown market today with Emily and Savannah Atkins. We got some basics for life in the next few weeks. We'll move into the Guest House in a few days and will spend a couple of weeks there while we get our house in order. During that time, Emily has said I can practice cooking in Bissau (she's been showing me how to cook affordably and with not too much difficulty using what's here) and that way I can come borrow anything that I forgot to get and ease into the process a bit. The Atkins have been a complete lifesaver for us! We are SO thankful for them!
Tonight, we go to our first leadership meeting at MAFI Church and we have no idea what's in store for us there! It should be fun!
We also decided that we should get a small scooter as our form of transportation. We're in the process of finding one right now and will get one as soon as possible. When we do, we'll have to send you a picture!
Tomorrow morning, we will also go look at another house here that is a possibility for us to live in and we will also go to Pastor Felix's house to look at some items that the church has there that we can borrow until we have enough to be able to float on our own. They have a bed for us (well, two twin beds) and a table and chairs and some other things. It's such a strange thing to be putting together a house in another country. I feel like I've done a lot of this in the past few years, but this is a whole new puzzle. I don't know what I even need.
We're going to borrow a stove that's a gas-powered stove and we won't have a fridge for a while. When we do get one, since we're in an apartment with electricity, I think we can get an electric one, but most of the fridges here are run off of propane and you change the propane tank every couple of weeks. I think we're going to need things that I can't even physically identify right now. :) We're really blessed by the people who are helping us get established.

No comments:

Post a Comment