Monday, September 26, 2011

All in a day's work

So, we've been adjusting to all kinds of things here. We've learned that accomplishing things takes WAY longer than you think it will and that the journey is more the goal than the end product. Just a couple days ago, I went to get a taxi to go downtown. As I was walking to the road, a guy walked up and asked if I wanted a taxi ride. Now, it's only a five minute walk to the road to where tons of taxis drive by, but I thought, "Why not, I'll save myself some time and take this guy up on his offer." I agreed thinking he would get in the car he was leaning on and we would go. He went to go get a change of clothes, some food, some gas for his car, oil, and a friend....everyone needs a friend when they go do stuff, right?
As I was waiting for this guy, I wanted nothing more than to just say, "Hey, never mind, I'll walk out and get a taxi at the road," but I thought maybe this was a way I could learn some patience and appreciation of the culture. I waited for probably ten or fifteen minutes and then the car was ready to be started....without keys. A few guys came and pushed the car down a small hill, but it didn't quite catch. A woman came by and asked the taxi driver for a ride as well and she and I helped the guys pull the car back up the hill and try for running start #2. It worked and the taxi took another few minutes to turn around and we were on our way. The driver was a really sweet person, though and helped me find the place I was looking for even though I wasn't real clear on its location.
I am learning to slow myself down. Greet people before thinking about business (and somehow not forget about business then, either), stop to talk to people who are just hanging out in the road, wait for the taxi in the road, etc. It's going well, and I am also sure that people are extending a lot of grace to me as I am not following cultural norms yet.
We're celebrating the small things like our success this week in managing to avoid the exuberant seating assistant at church who likes to forcibly seat us in the front row at church. We celebrated in a quiet way as we sat in the middle of the congregation and were able to watch everyone else and figure out what to do.
I can't wait to see the things that we'll learn in six months or a year. It's fun and exciting to look into this culture and enjoy aspects of it so much!
My camera cord is missing right now, when I find it, I will post pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment