Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cars and trucks and SUVs! Oh my!

New Mexico, Arizona, more New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Colorado. Those are the states we'll have been in by the end of this week! We're counting down days, just a little over a month until we leave for Africa! This road trip has been wonderful! We've seen and spent time with so many amazing people and realize that we're SO very blessed! We're learning that God knows exactly what we need and it's a beautiful thing!


We decided to count the number of trucks vs. cars in Texas as we drove a stretch from Midland to San Angelo today and we got a little carried away, but here's what we saw!


Cars: 59

Pickup Trucks: 136

Semi Trucks: 40

SUVs: 84 (many of these looked like modified pickup trucks, but we counted them as SUVs)

Whataburgers: 6

Historical Landmarks: 7

Roadkill: eeewww.

Tumbleweeds: 1

Texas Flags: 3

USA Flags: 5

Country Music Radio Stations in any given place: about 50% of the stations available (yes, this means I am in heaven, and Jason is resigned to his fate)



Speaking of transportation, when we arrive in Bissau, we'll be using bicycles and taxis for transportation. Taxis aren't like they are here, you don't call them, but they drive in a constant circuit. There are more taxis than personally-owned vehicles. You just go stand on the road and wait (usually much less than a minute) and a taxi comes by. You hold up your fingers for the number of people you want to put in the taxi and a taxi with room in it will stop. THEN, you negotiate the price. The government sets the prices, but people still love to see if they can get more, and sometimes they drive off without letting you in. Most of the time, it works out just fine and you get wherever you're going for a dollar or so.


We've also learned that Texas, New Mexico and Arizona don't have the same kinds of problems with bears that we do in Colorado. It totally shocks us to see trash cans in the middle of nowhere that look perfectly accessible to a bear. We're so used to having to be smarter than the average bear just to throw things away. It seems so weird!



We also had a powerful time in prayer a few days ago as we were just spending time together and talking. We began discussing how we were feeling about leaving and the entire process. I was talking to Jason about how I feel scared of so many things sometimes. I get scared that something will happen to him, or to family or friends while we're away, etc. As we were talking, (and I was crying) Jason began to pray against fear. It reminded me of my first night in Africa. I didn't sleep for about three nights. Every sound was unfamiliar, the smells were strange and the night was SO dark. It wasn't until my third morning of waking up more tired than I went to bed that I realized that I was dealing with fear. It can cripple me so completely. I like to plan and have things well within my control, and it's both good and very hard for me to be out of control of my own life. That morning, I sat in my bed and prayed against fear in my life. I prayed for peace and for protection from fear. For the rest of my six months in Africa, I slept incredibly well. I fell asleep immediately, I woke refreshed. It didn't matter if there were women wailing outside, or bullfrogs so loud you literally had trouble hearing people talk, or if I was covered in mosquito bites, or even if someone was banging around on the roof above my head (which did happen!). I slept and I was rested. It just showed me how real God was in my life and how much He wants to be involved in each part of my day, even to go so far as protecting my sleep.


I know from first hand experience what fear can do in my life and I was so thankful to have Jason there with my this time to recognize it and pray for me. We are thankful that we can write you and ask for prayer any time. And we'll probably write you a lot in our first month there!


A few new things have developed in regard to our settling in for Bissau as well. The pastor at the church found us an apartment that we will live in for 3 months and then we can decide to either stay longer in that apartment or find somewhere else. The important things we know about the house is that it has a wall around it (good for safety) and has a toilet. That's what we need! They wanted to make sure I had a chance to make decisions about where I live. Also, we've arranged to exchange writing lessons and some TOEFL books with a friend in Bissau for him teaching us Kriol. I have lost a lot of what I knew in Kriol, and Jason will need to start at the beginning. He knows his greetings, but so far that's all. (Though I must say, he's very good at greeting people for someone who's never been there)

1 comment:

  1. Olá! Você tem um site interessante. É bom para visitar aqui.

    ReplyDelete